View Single Post
Old April 18, 2013, 09:12 AM   #19
jimbob86

Quote:
What happened? Is it guns are more accessable? No, they've always been there, they never left. So what changed? I'll tell you what changed, social and moral decay.

Lets face it, I was born in 1980's, I watched it happen, hell I was a part of the newer generation. Children of my generation grew up with the TV as their guardians, parents that were too scared to actually discipline their child for fear of "traumatizing" them, or that they would grow up to hate them.
That is IMO, only part of the problem at hand: another part also happened in the 1980's. That was the closing of most State Mental Hospitals, in favor of outpatient medicated "care" ...... Back in the 1950's or 60's, people like the Sandy Hill nut would be institutionalized, rather than given a cocktail of psychotropic drugs that seem to work almost all the time ...... until they don't.

I'll bet most, if not all of these spree killers were on one or more of these drugs before or during their atrocities.

Am I saying that everyone on Ritalin, Abilify, Paxil, Prozac, or any of the dozens of other phych meds out there is going to "Go off his meds"* and shoot up a public place? No. ...... but folks that do these things are generally on one or more of them. You won't hear much about it, though: there's a ton of money out there making sure you don't.

Quote:
While it is obvious that there will be more "gun" crimes with the availability of guns, the total of crime is the what's important. You can have less crime by use of guns if you are in favor of crimes by use of knife. But I prefer the concept of less crime by all means.
I always wondered just why it would be so much worse to be murdered with a gun than with any other tool........ seems to me that I don't want to be murdered at all, and the tool used is irrelavant.

*Think about this: When did that term enter the vernacular? Late 80's, early 90's, right?

Page generated in 0.03221 seconds with 8 queries