View Single Post
Old November 8, 1999, 12:04 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Since my pistol loading is for either plinking or self-defense, all I ask is that the load reliably go bang; absolute accuracy is not a factor. I have yet to have any problem associated with components.

My first loading in .30-'06 was with the Rem 9-1/2 primer. I've used CCI and am currently using Winchester primers which are supposed to be okay for either standard or magnum. No particular reason.

I have been using 52.5 grains of 4064 behind various 150-grain bullets as my basic load since 1950. I've used Hornady (both Spire Point and ogive), Rem Bronze Points, and Sierra (both flat base and BT). I guess maybe four or five different rifles. They all seem to shoot around a one-inch group at worst...Damfino.

In my pet rifle, since 1970, I've used various primers and mostly the Sierra BT bullets. The best group I got was while tuning myself up for a hunt in '97; 1/2" center to center on a three-shot group.

I've never mixed cartridges with different batches of powder, nor different primers. I'd guess that your basic philosophy of working up a load and staying with it is as good as any, this side of serious bench-rest shooting. Pretty much works for me.

FWIW, Art

Page generated in 0.02464 seconds with 8 queries