View Single Post
Old August 17, 1999, 04:10 PM   #6
Skorzeny

Jorah:

Please do not take this an insult as I do not mean to be offensive, but you mentioned earlier than your wife has demonstrated zero interest in guns until now, correct?

If so, can I assume that she hasn't really shot many guns? I guess the reason I am asking these questions is that the 12 guage (particularly one that is too big for her) may be too much of a gun for her. For many beginners and novices, particularly those who are petite, the buck and the roar of a 12 gauge pump are, ah, most unexpected.

If she is a beginner, I suspect that the 12 guage may frighten her more than get her interested in shooting sports.

When I had my wife shoot a Remington 870 in 20 gauge for the first time in life, she wanted to drop the gun and run away, fast. It scared the living daylights out of her as she did not realize how loud and "powerful" it was.

So, after training her through .22LR, .38 special, 9mm Parabellum and .40S&W handguns, she became brave enough to try the 20 gauge again. To her surprise, she found it quite manageable and fun to shoot ("hey I can hit stuff with this!"). It also helped tremendously that I cut the stock to 12 1/2" pull.

So, for the beginners who are small framed, I really recommend a 20 gauge pump or semi-auto. Even Massad Ayoob likes the 20 over 12, because he can always shoot the 20 faster and better than a 12 in the same platform. He really recommends the 20 in pump or, particularly, a semi-auto for small-framed women.

Just my two bits.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Page generated in 0.02829 seconds with 8 queries