View Single Post
Old September 27, 2009, 04:59 PM   #44
mddevildog

Point vs Use of Sights

Time for me to step on some toes. Do you guys read what you type, or use spell check or check your grammer before you submit it? By and large, I agree with Matt Temkin, but I also have thoughts of my own.
First, there are several different levels of focus you need to be aware of, but like anything else, learning how they affect you is a matter of practice.
There are in fact distances where sights are not needed, giving you that .01 second you think is not very important, and as you know, these distances will vary from person to person. There are also distances where you need to focus totally on the front sight, this too will vary from person to person.
To me, none of the competetive shooting sports are geared towards preparing for a lethal confrontation, but I think they are fun and do help to improve fundamentals.
There is not enough room here to address everything, and I'm sure there will be comments about the things I don't touch on, so be it.
Misses are obviously the result of many variables, but not using the sight at CQB distances is not the primary cause. Pre ignition push, lack of understanding or application of the grip, to include setting the wrist and elbow, and a lack of practicing these things to an acceptable level on a square range are at the forefront. After that, I firmly believe the largest portion of survival skills "training" needs to occur in a FOF environment. Slowly at first, so you can observe and think about what you are doing and what you need to be doing. Obviously, all training is false, because nothing can replicate the stress of a real life encounter, but FOF does help to bridge that gap and "training" in this environment is the only way (unless you participate in the real thing) to reach a skill level where you are able to respond the way you want to, rather than the way your stressed brain forces you to. Understand, from extremely close, to relatively close confrontations, dynamic movement is a absolute neccesity. This movement, makes it extremely difficult to focus on the sights, especially using a two hand grip. Using a one hand grip will help smooth, or reduce the bounce as you move, therefore, making sight acquisition somewhat easier, if you can revert to the thinking side of your brain after the initial startle response. In my opinion, the only advantage to a two hand grip is it's ability, when applied properly, to get the weapon re-aligned more quickly with the target, which in turn, equates to some faster follow up shots, and no, it's not just as fast to acquire a two hand grip from the holster as a one hand grip and first shot. Use the timer and prove it to yourself. Sorry, I got a little off subject there. There were a lot of valid observations made here, but I think we were focusing on handgun fighting here, not just handgun shooting. Don't be afraid to step outside the box and try something different, not just for a few repitions, but long enough to see how it works with some level of competency. You might be surprised at the result. Hope I did not bore you, I know it was long. Stay Safe!
RB

Page generated in 0.03752 seconds with 8 queries