View Single Post
Old April 8, 2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Ed Lawrence

I think that was a good response, Denny. After you got finished straightening out that person (and it would have taken a considerable amount of time to have a chance of getting him to change his thinking) you would probably need a nap.

It's good that people like Pat and SWAT are making that knowledge available to the general public--both in the form of article and training. Some people may buy SWAT for the articles on guns and then wind up reading some of the other important articles.

I remember a time when you could not find such items in gun magazines (you still cannot for the most part--I consider SWAT to be a gun & training & tactic & mindset magazine). And people who were not fortunate enough to know someone knowledgeable and experienced, or go to one of the few gunschools, the only thing out there was gunstore commandos and friends with questionable knowledge. Even if you did find someone, what you got might have been regurgitated outdated tactical doctrine.

Info that the range isn't the street has been out there for a while, but it was not nearly as prominant as it needed to be in the general gun press and books and it certainly did not get the attention it needed.

The Handgunner's Guide by Chic Gaylord circa 1960 has a short chapter on The Psychology of Gun Fighting: "Unless a man has made up his mind what he will do in combat, he may fall easy pray to panic. A recent survy, conducted in a large metropolitan police force, showed that in tha majority of cases where police officers were engaged in gun duels, they were shooting wildly Yet many of those same officers had expert ratings on the target range. It is not unusual to read of running gunfights during which more than fifty rounds were fired, all of them misses! One well-aimed shot could have wound things up in the beginning."
Ed Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02786 seconds with 8 queries