View Single Post
Old August 25, 2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I've had a number of cases where, after cutting but not chamfering, I found a small ring of brass (the wire edge) sitting at the case mouth. It think it popped off when the bell was ironed out. Those should just blow out with the bullet, and probably would most of the time, but I pulled them off over the bullet with a dental pick so it couldn't snap off and fall into the magazines or into the gun. So, I think for brass you will bell with an expander, its removing that wire edge that you chamfer for. If you don't chamfer, the expander may just raise the edge upward, in which case it will be sharp enough to shave lead as the crimp closes in. A light chamfer will clear it just fine. Also, you only have to do this once. You don't normally have to trim pistol brass at all as it either stays about the same or shrinks with reloading. Just keep the stuff together by the number of reloads and it should shrink about the same.

FYI, 0.892" is SAAMI minimum for .45 ACP. I've shot it a lot shorter than than with light target loads, as I've had some shrink as short as 0.873". But with full power crimped loads you wouldn't want to get it quite that short without double-checking that your pressure wasn't increasing (velocity increase would be a strong clue in this instance).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.02096 seconds with 8 queries