View Single Post
Old April 30, 2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

(1) What does the numbers on powder stand for example( Accurate 5744, Accurate 8700, Accurate 1680)?

They are just names.

(2)How do you set the bullet at the right depth? Does the loader do it for you or do you have to measure?

You have to set the die. Procedure can get quite elaborate, but most of the time the magazine determines the length.

(3) Do you need a chronograph? Or does the reloading book accurately tell you the velocities?

Chrony is nice, but you don't have to have one. At best the reloading book gives a guess at the velocities your rifle will give.

(4) To measure the powder do you have to use a scale or does the handloader have dies to measure it for you?

Generally a scale, but there are volumetric measures that work fine if you allow plenty of safety margin.

(5) I hear people talking about working a load up and I assume they are adding more powder to achieve higher velocities and they are also trying not to create to much psi. When people are talking about working a load up are they going by the book? Or are they making custom loads?

Can be either.

(6) How do you know you are coming to your maximum psi?

With most pistol and low pressure rifle cartridges, you don't. You just have to go by the book. The pressure signs available to the handloader don't appear until pressure is fairly high. You should not be going close to max pressures until you have a good bit of experience.

(7) Did i forget anything that someone might want to add?

You're worrying about the wrong stuff. Accuracy and safety are a lot more important than max anything.

Page generated in 0.03503 seconds with 8 queries