View Single Post
Old October 2, 2010, 09:24 AM   #19
MLeake

peetzakilla...

... I usually tend to agree with you, but not on this one, so I wonder if we read it differently.

Per the OP's scenario, the two guys are known as local bullies/muscle. They've been in trouble with the law multiple times. They are currently specifically angry at you because they believe you called the law on them last time they did something in the neighborhood, and they are now trying to intimidate you.

Also per the OP's scenario, while they started out name-calling from the street, they've closed, entered your property, and are now 15ft and closing in your yard.

If it were just name calling from the street, I'd say sure, blow them off, head inside, and call the cops. However, this is an initially verbal situation that seems to be on its way toward physical (the guys are coming onto private property of a person they know does not want them there, and they are behaving belligerently; they have a known history of verbal and physical bad acts.)

Walking away may not show weakness, but it depends on a few factors. Also, they may not perceive your walking away as having been done from a position of strength. If they think they've scared you, they may be satisfied and leave, but there are at least equally good odds that they'll take it up a notch, since bullies often get off on fear.

A tactical retreat may be in order. I wouldn't assume you could just safely walk away, though; they've already entered your property and closed a lot of distance on you.

I've known a few guys like this; from Skans' response, I think he's known some similar guys.

Page generated in 0.03975 seconds with 8 queries