View Single Post
Old November 19, 2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Clayfish

I'm sick to my stomach.

Yesterday evening I was sitting in a ground blind looking over a picked peanut field. About 5:30 I saw some movement all the way on the other side of the field which is about 500 yards. I scoped it and saw it was a decent buck. I grunted pretty hard but couldn't get his attention and it was getting close to dark so I decided to get a little aggressive. I started out gladding and when he would put his head down I would take some steps and then glass again. I closed the distance to about 200 yards when he turned a perfect broadside. I got into position laying down prone to get steady. squeeze... crack thump. I heard the bullet hit him and he went down. He then kicked and got up and hobbled away. I knew he wasn't going far so I marked where he went down originally and walked to the truck. By the time I got back to the field it was pretty dark. I looked for him for over two stinking hours and didn't find a drop of bood! I called my buddy but he was busy so he couldn't help me. So I head home with my head hung very low.
So today my buddy calls. He found the deer. A decent 8 point. He said That he found it in the field with buzzards already on it. He said I made a perfect heart shot and that the deer looked like he fell where I shot it. But I shot him on the edge of the field and Clint said he was about 100 yards in. I even shined the field before I left and didn't see anything.
I'm just sick because I hate wasting that meat. I just though I would share this so you guys won't make the same mistake that I did. Make sure you mark the deer and don't think that you've got a sure thing when you shoot a deer. Always mark using triangulation where you shot the deer and if you have to track at night find someone to help.

Page generated in 0.02856 seconds with 8 queries