View Single Post
Old April 8, 2010, 10:06 AM   #23
mddevildog

Eye Dominance

BeerSleeper had the best and correct answer, although he probably did not realize it. While the one eye was not functioning, the other took over. Exactly the same as closing one, or covering one, the result is the same. The eye which is doing the observing, becomes the dominant eye. During the down time, the original non dominant eye learned to, or in this case had to focus. He is correct, he now is the owner of equally dominant eyes. This is non problematic, you have the best of both worlds. You can shoot bilaterally with any weapon with both eyes open, with practice. Left side, the left eye will focus, right side, the right eye. You do not need something such as this to occur to accomplish this. You can train your current non dominant eye to focus as well as what you now consider your dominant eye, just depends on how much you want it. You can start with a patch or something, or just close the dominant eye while bringing the sights into focus with the open eye, then gradually/slightly open the closed eye while continuing to focus with the one you are training. Eventually, either will focus as you need it and no, it will not change in the middle of something, unless however you redirect your focus. Now, having said all that, I agree with Rob, you are training the brain to focus with the eye on the side you have the weapon on. To an extent I also agree with his statement about eye dominance not being an issue for handgun shooters. The one problem I see with that statement, while not a true dominance problem, is needing to use the sights from behind cover at those times when it would be most appropriate. If you have not trained using the eye on that side of your cover to focus on the sight, then you will have a tendency to move your head further out to focus with the other eye, or you will want to close an eye. Neither is the optimal choice. Dry fire/practice will work for this for both handgun and long gun. StaySafe
RB

Page generated in 0.02848 seconds with 8 queries