View Single Post
Old March 29, 2009, 01:57 PM   #7
Tennessee Gentleman

John,
Don't get me wrong I don't relish the idea of getting sued for anything. What stumps me is how the Tiarhrt Amendment keeps that from happening. I am not sure it does. Does most case law support today support suing prior owners of murder guns? Maybe a lawyer would know?

The gun manufacturers dealt with it by passing a law to prevent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa
The point is that they currently can't find out who previously owned the gun.
I think they can regardless of Tiarht as I mentioned there are other ways to do it.

Quote:
I can see all kinds of ways that information could be abused.
And that is what I am asking how that would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloy
Long term undercover investigations don't need to be compromised by the media and law-suits.
How does that happen?

I guess it appears to me that Tiarht was put in place originally to protect gun manufacturers from lawsuits like the one NY City started 9 or 10 years ago. So, Congress passed the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act in 2005 and stopped those suits (took awhile to reach Supreme Court) so that issue is now moot.

Quote:
Do you guys see a benefit to having the ownership history of a gun being available to anyone who asks
Not sure why it should be private. Heck, all kinds of things I buy are available to the public if they want to buy the list aren't they?

Page generated in 0.03211 seconds with 8 queries