View Single Post
Old July 31, 2008, 08:30 AM   #3
KEN K

I like walnut but have used oak and maple also. Walnut is the best if you want to do any checkering and it doesn't need any stain to enhance the color and gain but oak can be stained to really bring out some nice grain. I have an-old Turkish Mauser with an oak stock that almost looks like a laminated stock. You'll need a piece 2X8 3 ft. long min. I bought a chunk of walnut 6 ft. long for $56. and got two stocks out of it and had lots left over for grips and to practice checkering on. Cut the ruff shape then channel for the barrle and cut out for the action, no point in working on outside till you get the gun to fit and its easier to work on if the outside is flat and square so you can clamp it in a vice or to a table. I know the guns I work with don't justify hand made custom stocks, I just like working with wood and you can make anold sulplus rifle that someone haked the fore stock off of into a nice looking hunting rifle. Once you get the fit right just cut and sand away everything that doesn't look like the stock you have in your mind.
Good luck and enjoy the trip. You might want to try a test run om some really cheap wood like pine befor you stat wittling away on a fifty dollar piece of walnut. Have fun.

Page generated in 0.03483 seconds with 8 queries