View Single Post
Old March 5, 2007, 10:19 AM   #5
rwilson452

I go from WW straight to 1 lb ingots as that is what will fit in my pot that I mold from. I can't see doing an extra melt. Just more expence. One thing I didn't add that I guess needs to be mentioned. when converting the WW to ingots your really need to do it in a very well ventilated place. I do it in the back yard. I dump the ingot molds on the concrete patio surface to finish cooling. Remember, those things are HOT! even after they turn solid. the usual safety stuff. leather work gloves, not cotton, face protection, a heavy apron. Good shoes, Safety shoes if you have them. Cloth topped shoes are out. Spashing lead on you body will ruin your day. If you do this with a buddy, it's much faster and easier. If you do large batches you get to take a break between melts. I rigged a couple of handles to work on the oven and pour directly into the molds if I have help. Large vice grips will work if the oven has something to grab onto. One person on each side of the pot. By yourself I would suggest you use a dipper. an all metal soup ladle works. A teflon or plastic one will go up in smoke. Those cheap metal BBQ sets work well for working the pot.

Page generated in 0.03038 seconds with 8 queries