View Single Post
Old April 29, 1999, 08:02 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Hawkeye, while this isn't an everyday occurance, I have seen it happen several times. Production firing pin stops are a tad undersize for the channel that they sit it in being made this way for easy assembly/disassembly. 99 times out of 100 the force exerted by the extractor is enough to keep them in place. Sometimes however it isn't. Several competition shooter install a set screw in the stop and one of the more popular mods to the 1911 is to have an oversize stop fitted snugly to the pistol. Either way works. I wouldn't expect to find anything wrong with the firing pin but it never hurts to be sure. If you decide to keep the gun, the next time you take it to the range, shoot your first few stages with only two rounds in the pistol. Just this past week end my son's 1911 began a "failure to fire" series of malfunctions. On inspection the back of his firing pin had peaned out to fill the hole in the slide stop and refused to be budged by the hammer. A replacement pin was all it took. At around $6 this might be cheap insurance for your pistol as well. George

Page generated in 0.01993 seconds with 8 queries