View Single Post
Old April 10, 2001, 12:54 PM   #3
Steve Smith

Wow, lots of questions. As Coolray said, singe stages do one operation at a time. Basically you get, say, 100 cases together and run each one through the press once to deprime,size, and prime. Then you put the powder in...via a little scoop and a scale, or a powder measure that throws the same amout of powder every time you pull the handle (faster). Then you replace the first die in the press with another die called the "seater" or "seating" die. That pushes the bullet into the case, to a depth that you choose (according to reloading manuals specs). Note: if you were reloading pistol ammo, you'd more than likely "bell" the case mouth before deating the bullet, and then crimp the bell after the bullet is seated. This step is usually skipped with rifle ammo...at least with boat-tails liek I use.

The Turret press is for a person that likes the "one action with every pull of the handle" concept, but wants to speed it up a little. The turret holds several dies at once on a "wagon wheel" setup. You rais the ram and do one operation, then turn the turret, and raise the ram again to perform the next. This saves a lot of time.

The progressive is for a person that thinks that waiting more than 10 mintes per 100 rounds is agony. I can reload 500-600 rounds per hour on my Dillon 550B. It holds four cases at a time. Each is aligned with a die, and when you raise the ram, a process is done in each. Then you turn the shell plate, and it all happens again. The quesiton is, do you shoot enough to warrant this press? If so, great, but you shouldn't need mroe ammo than a 550 or 650 can put out...the 1050 is for people PRODUCING ammo for sale, basially. You're fooling yourself if you think that $300 is all you'll spend. Don't forget about calipers, scale, case trimmer (for rifles), chamfer tool, dies, bullet puller, tumbler (not necessary, but nice), lube, and a half dozen other things just to get you started.

I don't see where you've narrowed anything down...you did not know the differences in presses pefore Coolray and I said anything. You first have to decide whther you want a progressive or not. Yes, a Dillon is a great press, but it may not be right for you. Keep the Q's coming.

BTW, how many rounds do you plan to shoot per month, and what calibers?

[Edited by Steve Smith on 04-10-2001 at 02:33 PM]

Page generated in 0.03212 seconds with 8 queries