Thread: shotgun porting
View Single Post
Old February 18, 2001, 09:26 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Rom, may I assume(always risky) that we're talking about mods to cut kick on serious shotguns? If so...

First, a software answer, instead of hardware. Work on your form, and practice with light loads. An old thread here about proper Mounting Techniques may help.

Besides porting,gizmos that suck money from your wallet, Nullification of Newton's Laws and Divine intervention, the only ways to better deal with kick are better form,lighter loads,custom bore work, and heavier guns.

Better form, we've mentioned.

Lighter loads, quite popular right now, which is why those reduced recoil/"Tactical" loads are selling like cold beer in August.Remember "Lighter" can mean slower as well as a reduced weight payload.

Custom bore work, the soul of Vanging, etc, is expensive, and while the overbored bbl aids patterns as well as reduces kick, some of us cringe at the idea of removing perfectly good bbl metal. Another approach is lengthening the forcing cone, which also helps patterns and cuts the kick a trifle.

Heavier guns, which is why trap guns run heavier than field guns, and why my HD 870 runs well over 9 lbs.Taking a 7 lb gun to 8 lbs reduces kick 14%.

All this is incremental and adds up when a couple of things are done, not just one.

Back to compensators. I've extensive experience with the Cutts/Polychoke type, and note it does reduce the kick,at least subjectively. It looks like a small apple stuck on the end of your bbl, and that bothers some folks.Upside, nigh instantaneous choke selection.

Some folks I know that are fecally cognizant have Proported bbls. They like them. I haven't seen any on serious shotguns, and ALL comps will add low light flash and increase blast. There's always a tradeoff.

The Briley doesn't add much weight at the muzzle, a consideration with the Polychoke,nor does it bulge. Since the heavy duty clay gamers(those who cannot stand the idea of a mere 99 straight) are buying Brileys, the smart money's there.

And, there's no reason only one method can be done, Proporting behind a choke tube is common.

I wouldn't mess with a minimum length bbl/comp setup, BATF has absolutely no sense, and some govt lackey may decide you're a public menace and get more lackeys to agree.

BTW, bbl length is measured from the breech/bolt face to the muzzle. Drop a dowel done your bbl, mark it at the muzzle, remove it and measure from the mark to the end. That's the govspec length.

Hope this helps....

Page generated in 0.03301 seconds with 8 queries