View Single Post
Old February 3, 2001, 09:40 AM   #1
kjm

My father has a problem driving neighbor cattle back to their side of the fence (they actually jump the fence which is an amazing sight to behold a ton-and-a-half of beef develop the energy to leap a 42" fence). He's tried a bb gun, but so far hasn't been able to get good effect from it. He doesn't want to use a pellet gun for fear of skin penetration and subsequent problems that could occur that he'd be liable for. He "drives" them with his tractor, but says he needs something to reach out and touch them with besides a bb gun.
This problem got me to thinking; when I was in the Horse Cav Detachment, we used wax bullets for weapon's demonstrations. We'd resize, Deprime, prime and charge a bullet (.45LC), and then we'd hammer parrafin wax into the case. This would reach out to twenty yards, had decent scatter, and would burn slightly when hit at that distance. I think it'll help my father with his rougue-cattle herding, but I have a question.
He plans on using an old .38spc he's had for ages. I have a bunch of .357 Mag brass I could load with wax. Could I load a .357 case with a .38 charge, and then top off the extra with parrafin? I'm not worried about pressures here. Parrifin doesn't really build up pressure like a lead bullet would. I just want to know if the .357 case without projectile would fit a .38 spc chamber (I have no .38 specials to test it on). The pressures will be the same anyway since I'm using a .38 charge w/ wax projectiles.

If I weren't so poor, I'd use those rubber bullets in the dillon catalog, but necessity is the mother of reinvention!

Page generated in 0.03185 seconds with 8 queries