View Single Post
Old January 5, 2014, 11:20 AM   #24
tomrkba

prm...look at what Tom Givens has to say about it. I carry reloads for the worst case. Odds are I won't ever have to draw my gun again, much less shoot. I influence those odds by "protecting the permit" and religiously following the "3 S Rule". Doing the above offers no guarantees that Al BooBoo Official Terrorists(tm), Cartel Numbnuts or Advanced Tactical Machinegun Ninjas won't attack! I am more worried about the homeless guy approaching me for change.

Quote:
I currently have 42 years service with the military, 8 active, 6 in the Reserves, and the rest National Guard. During that time I have had multiple deployments and I am well aware of the difference in offensive and defensive environment. In addition, I've got 36 years experience as a LEO.
I have seen too many guys in class with similar resumes who cannot deliver a shot on demand from a concealment. I have no idea if you can do so or not, but will assume that you can. A friend of mine in the Philly PD is the only one who trains and/or competes on his squad. He tells me the rest of them want nothing to do with it. I'm sure you're familiar with the type who thinks the gun is just a "thing" on the belt that they could do without.

My neighbor was a cop who carried a non-functioning Colt Gold Cup for a year between qualifications. I sold him my SIG P220 so he'd have something that worked. I watched other officers miss a steel plate at 15 yards 13 times because they didn't know how to correct their sight picture. I have many other stories like that, though the worst one is the cop who started shooting at the 50 yard steel plate while I was downrange checking a target at 25 yards!

Last edited by tomrkba; January 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM.

Page generated in 0.04451 seconds with 8 queries