View Single Post
Old June 4, 2012, 07:33 AM   #42
ScotchMan

I hate to be the guy to change the parameters of the question, to change the rules so to speak. But, if he's buying one gun for CCW or home defense, he should really buy the gun he wants. Handguns are terrible manstoppers, so shot placement is the most important attribute, period. That means you have to shoot it well, really well. Limiting yourself to a certain price range (any price range), filters out what could be the ideal gun.

It doesn't have to be expensive, I'm not saying you have to spend at least X on a gun. But what if this guy is absolutely perfect for a Beretta PX4 Storm (for example), it fits him perfectly, and he can shoot the center out of a target all day long with it? It will last him a lifetime, and the additional couple hundred dollars become meaningless over that time frame.

If he limits himself to a certain amount, he might end up with a gun that works but he's not very good with it. 20 years from now, the difference between $350 and $700 is going to be meaningless. There are a lot of really nice guns in the $350-$800 price range that aren't being included here. Even adding just $100 to the budget brings in a lot of really nice options.

I can understand budgets if you buy and sell guns a lot like some of us, but if you are buying one gun for the long haul, your budget should be pretty much anything.

Buy once cry once.

And just to get my own opinion in here (it is the Internet after all), I'd probably buy an HK P2000 in 9mm if I could only have one gun for CCW and HD duty.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member

Page generated in 0.02060 seconds with 8 queries