View Single Post
Old April 29, 2008, 02:53 AM   #6
ChicagoTex

While I dread a home invasion as much as anybody, I acknowledge that it's actually the least likely scenario, and also the scenario where I'm most likely to have the most control of the situation (it's my home turf, after all). So besides the occaisonal drill I don't give it much thought.

I'm rarely in especially crowded places and as such don't share your general apprehension of being swept into a mass shooting - but still train for the possibility that some nut could always arrive to shoot up my local McDonald's while I'm having lunch.

Truth be told I actually anticipate being mugged at gunpoint from my car more than anything else (particularly since that's a fairly common MO in the DFW area) and have trained extensively for pretending to be terrified and discombobulated reaching for my wallet while actually reaching for my CCW and getting a shot or two off before the BG realizes somethings amiss. What's more, I think my stature and body language would intimidate all but the most brave (or stupid) attacker, but neither are plainly visible while sitting in my car.
That said, I also do train for face to face muggings and combining basic martial arts (deflecting a weapon, getting the attacker off balance, etc) with the draw of my CCW - I'm contemplating getting an Emerson Combat Kerambit to enhance my options in this regard.

Something else I train for that I don't think a lot of people do is a scenario where for some reason I'm in a shootout with a bad guy in a parking lot and the range may be increasing (running from one car to the next, either myself or the bg) - this is why I insist that I be able to deliver consistently accurate fire with anything I carry out to a MINIMUM of 25 yards - obviously more is better - from awkward positions behind cover (most likely, automobiles).

As an aside, that raises an interesting question - who's legally liable for the damage to vehicles from me and the bg shooting at each other? Are we each responsible for our own bullets, or is the initial criminal actor responsible for all damages caused as a byproduct of his criminal act? I realize were this circumstance to come up that would be the least of my worries, but I'm still curious.

Page generated in 0.04011 seconds with 8 queries