View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Pahoo

Have Y'all held a Hawken

Firt off, I'm not posting this to crow but to express how lucky I am. At this past weekend's gun show, I spotted an old sidelock behind the seller's main table. At about 10', I undressed it for about five minutes. I then asked the seller if "that" was what I thought it was? He smiled and and said yes. I politely asked him if I could see it and jokingly offered to pay rent. ....
He handed it to me and requested that I not drop it. I could not believe I was actually holding one after all these years of being into M/L's. The barrel was larger and heavier than I could have imagined. We both guessed that it was a .56 or larger. Owner said that it had gone to Oregon in the early 1800's and wound up back in the Midwest. He bought it from a private collector and claimed he got a good deal. Needless to say, this was the best gun show I have been to, in the past thirty years and hard to express the feeling ...

Beck in the early 70's, I saw my first Hawken (Great Plaines Rifle) in the Smithsonian institute, in a glass case. Did not bother to ask if I could hold that one ....

I would ask if any of you, have ever held one and what feelings you experienced for this kind of stuff, touches the heart. ....

Be Safe !!!

Page generated in 0.04082 seconds with 8 queries