View Single Post
Old December 17, 2012, 02:33 AM   #9
Sevens

Quote:
I almost thought that Independence were reloads. I am thinking it must be a different company than the one I am thinking of. Some one showed up at the range with a bunch of boxes of it in American Flag looking boxes. They were mixed head stamp. They shot just fine for him.
You are thinking of UltraMax. Independence and UltraMax use similar colored (and cheap cardboard) boxes. UltraMax is re-manufactured ammo, or "factory reloads." Comes from an established company but uses USED brass and often (not always) shows a wide array of headstamps in any given box.

I've heard of first-hand accounts of bad results with UltraMax, but I've never bought the stuff. A buddy of mine has bought a bunch of it and I've shot with him when he's burned through it with no problems, but another pal has seen the stuff act dangerously erratic on more than one occasion and I know the man well- he's trustworthy and I believe his account.

Some factory re-man is better than others. Remember that Black Hills ammo started life as re-man. I bought quite a bit of their blue box stuff in .38 Special and 10mm back in the day. $5.99 a box was fine price back in the late 80's.

I'm not even sure if Black Hills still does ANY re-man these days.

Page generated in 0.02533 seconds with 8 queries