Thread: Gun Safe Advise
View Single Post
Old January 3, 2011, 07:44 PM   #12
Toolman

I tried to do a lot of research before I bought my gun safe(s).
I talked to & visited local gunshops to see what they use and contacted my insurance loss risk carrier & asked them what they recomend and how to install it. For me, a lockable combination dial rather than an electronic combo best suited my needs. A slip clutch on the handles seemed to be better than shear pins because the pins don't shear,,,,which requires a locksmith to replace. A recessed door instead of flush mounted, handles centered in the door and internal hinges was my preference. Heavy gage steel on all other areas besides the door got my vote. A U/L fire rating helps.
My advice is to get a safe twice as big as you need, you will be surprised what goes in it. I suggest you put it in a closet with doors, frame it into the opening, bolt it to the floor and back against the wall.
Most safe attacks aren't on the door, they're directed on the sides, top or back with an axe & a lot of energy.
Nothing is burglar-proof. Given enough time, tools & energy, they will get in or carry it off.
The idea is to keep them out, or prevent them from carrying it off for about 2-hours, hopefully they will get tired, wear out their tools or get scared someone is coming home.

Page generated in 0.02425 seconds with 8 queries