View Single Post
Old August 21, 2001, 06:50 PM   #5
PeterGunn

Glock 17 vs. Sigarms P226

temp,

First off, let me welcome to TFL!!! You will find this to be a very helpful forum in the world of shooting. The folks here are very knowledgeable and have a helpful spirit. Even when the flame starts flying, there is usually something helpful to catch in the midst.

Now to answer your question. My personal experience tends to lean in the SIGs direction, but there are many factors that you will have to determine for yourself (comfort, pointability, shootability, etc.). So before I say anything else, you HAVE to shoot both before you make up your mind.

That said, the SIG P226 is a traditional DA/SA semi-aotumatic pistol of German design. SIGS tend to be among the best made handguns bar none in the world. Accuracy is world class, ergonomics are among the best, and handling characteristics are very good. The only thing you wil have to get used to is the unique hammer drop location and the DA/SA functions. Some will say the initial DA shot is too difficult to master, but that is not true. With enough practice any weapon's characteristics can be mastered. The SIG may also be a bit heavier than the GLOCK.

The Glock 17 is a full size polymer frame/steel slide and internals handgun. The Glock's real promise is its simplicity of operation and rugged design. There are no safety controls to be concerned with, and the gun has less than 30 parts total, so the gun is easy to maintain and fix if it breaks down. The Glocks have undergone some of the industries most rigorous duribility testing, and come through with flying colors. The Glock design must be gotten used to though. The grip angle is weird for many people, and while combat accurate, the Glock is probably not as intrinsically accurate as the SIG.

I personally own a SIG 226 in 9mm and absolutely love it. IMHO, SIG makes the finest sidearms around, but like I said before, only you can pick a handgun for you.

BTW, if you are looking for something more compact, consider the SIG 228/229/225/239 or Glock 19.

Good luck and God Bless!!!

PeterGunn

Page generated in 0.03050 seconds with 8 queries