View Single Post
Old May 21, 2011, 01:27 AM   #36
Bill Akins

Thanks for that info Noelf2. I tried fitting the .45 auto rims in my Hombre and they wouldn't fit because the rim is just a little bit too thick and hits against the loading gate arm when I try to turn the cylinder. Otherwise they fit fine.

But I remembered that I used to own an old Webley .455 and many years ago I had chucked some .45 auto rims in my lathe and turned the front side of the rim down so they would fire in my old Webley. I had trimmed the rim on the front side of the rim facing the case mouth, not the back side where the primer goes. Just put them in my lathe and held a file against the rim til it was the thinner thickness I needed. Worked great in my old 1915 birds head grips Webley and I had made up seven of them and re-found them again this evening. I dug those old .45 auto rim trimmed rim cases out and low and behold they fit in my Hombre just fine.

I guess we could call my altered .45 auto rims...... .45 Colt shorts. Makes sense to me.

Next thing I'm going to do is to load them up using the .454 round ball I use in my black powder revolvers......just for fun to see how that works.

I'll try to post some pics of that when I do it.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Page generated in 0.02596 seconds with 8 queries