View Single Post
Old September 10, 2002, 10:37 AM   #16
Correia

Depends on where/what you are shooting. I'm in agreement with mpthole.

I believe in having an emergency kit ready to go. I will practice with it when I'm out in the desert with like minded individuals, but I do not wear it to the range, or to shoot in matches.

When I shoot in 3 gun matches I usually just hook pouches to my regular belt. (make sure it is a good one, 3 gun gear weighs a ton, depending on how much ammo you are toting). For shotgun I wear a 10 shot belt pouch, a 5 shot buttcuff, a 5 shot armband (don't laugh it works) and my wife is sewing a bandoleer. (shooting in the WC3gun latter this month, it is my understanding that they have been known to have some shotgun stages with VERY high round counts). Usually 1 or 2 GI mag pouches in front, pistol in standard behind hip, and pistol mag pouches on left side. This has worked for me so far, but in my last match there was one stage with a 75 yard dash (40 rounds of .308, pistol, 32 rounds of .45, 10 shot shells all on belt), and I about lost my pants!

My personal emergency gear set up is just a web belt, Y harness (going to upgrade to a camelback H harness), 2 GI mag pouches in front (holds 2 FAL mags each), a South African Hippo pack on back (8 more magazines, 2 larger pouches for supplies), a G-Code holster bolted to the right side, and a pouch on the left side that holds 2 spare 1911 mags, and a bag of trail mix. I also have this set up to work with my big backpack. (Hip straps ride over top of webgear). Camel back rides in big pack, or is removed and attached to smaller day pack that zips to back of big pack.

I can't wear a chest pouch or an LBV because I over heat too fast. My chest has to be open to get circulation. Plus prone can be very uncomfortable for me with mags on my chest. But that is just my opinion.

I will caution you to work with whatever you decide to use for your emergency gear. I get such a kick out of the SHTF "warriors" who babble endlessly about their uber-gear, but haven't actually used any of it.

Recently a group of us (including a few TFLers) had a "camping trip" where we tested all of our gear in realistic conditions. We did 30 miles of high desert and shale country in 1 night, 1 day, and the next morning. I did 60+ pounds in my pack (20 of it was water and gatorade) and 200 rounds of .308 on my webgear, plus toted a 10 lbs. FAL. It was very educational, especially when people's gear started to break.

And if anybody ever laughs at you, you can't beat STLRN's response. Man that is a good one!

Page generated in 0.03366 seconds with 8 queries