View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 11:59 AM   #2
btmj

I shoot right handed. I will give you my theory on what is happening to you.

After I shoot 100+ rounds, I will start pulling my shots low and to the left. I start to subconciously anticipate the recoil, and push the gun forward (muzzle down). It is easy to discover this if I am shooting a revolver and leave a cylinder empty... when I drop the hammer on that empty cylinder, the muzzle wanders down for just an instant. The old-school name for this is "flinch". It does not take much muzzle wandering to make a big difference at 20 yards !

Since you are shooting left handed, the effect would be the opposite, you would shoot low and to the right.

What to do about it? First of all, knowledge is power. If you know you are anticipating the recoil and pushing the gun down as you squeeze the trigger, you can conciously avoid doing it. Another thing that helps me is to dry fire a few times to reset my muscle memory. If I brought my 22 pistol to the range, I can shoot that gun, and quickly get rid of the flinch.

But honestly I don't worry about it too much. The flinch never shows up until I have fired more than 50 to 100 rounds, which means it will not be a factor in any kind of defensive shooting I might find myself in. If I shot competitively, it would be something I would work on a lot harder.

Jim

Page generated in 0.03841 seconds with 8 queries