View Single Post
Old May 25, 2010, 08:47 PM   #17
ClydeFrog

active sworn LEOs; drinking, use of force events....

To my limited knowledge, some US LE agencies & chiefs, Sheriffs, Dirs, etc are very strict or regulated about drinking/alcohol.
I'd heard that Dir Louis Freeh by mandated policy didn't allow FBI special agents or sworn 083 police officers(yes the FBI has it's own PD, ) from drinking at all. Freeh considered sworn members & agents to be on-duty or fit for duty 24/07.

In late 2009, a young sworn LEO in Salt Lake City UT shot a violent but unarmed felon that was beating his brother. The events were in a crowded bar in the SLC area. The felon was wounded but charged. The LEO did not face criminal charges and it wasn't reported if he was drinking or had any dept or professional standards actions taken.
The a-hole CPD TAC officer in Chicago IL who got drunk and savagely beat a female bartender is a great example of why sworn LE officers or anyone who CCs should not drink & carry. He was arrested but Im not sure what happened to him. The PBA/FoP shouldn't support that d-bag but Im sure he'll give some shuck and jive excuse like PTSD or carpal tunnel syndrome.

A few years ago I spoke to a senior LEO in a small PD who said that in past(1960s/1970s/1980s), sheriffs & PD chiefs were extremely strict about ethics, morals and off duty conduct standards. He saw cops fired for going to strip clubs or adult book stores off duty. He explained that as times changed, newer younger LEOs started to have fewer ethical standards and viewed their sworn position as a job or occupation rather than a career or calling. I could understand what he meant.
In closing, these ethics standards not only apply to LE. Last summer, I saw a group of firefighters from Jacksonville FL in a bar. They were completely trashed and starrted to fight with each other! One of firefighter told me how his co-worker had be drinking all day since 900am! That is just pathetic.

Page generated in 0.03541 seconds with 8 queries