View Single Post
Old April 28, 2013, 10:25 PM   #26
Sevens

To your point, I absolutely agree that none of these .38 Special +P is even going to be noticed by any modern handgun. To say that it's isn't likely to damage a modern handgun would be an [b]understatement[/i] in my opinion.

Once again, however, you default to what damage may or may not happen from a given bullet weight at a given muzzle velocity. But that muzzle velocity is not a direct indicator of pressure. If you are any manner of a handloader, you know that to be true as a genuine basic principle.
Quote:
When S&W introduced the 38 Special in the 1890s it was designed for 21,500 PSI and that was the standard until 1972 or 74 when they lowered it.
SAAMI measures pressure and expresses it in PSI by using and translating feedback from transducers positioned in specific places. I wasn't there, but we may be suspect of where the transducers were placed when tested in 1890, or maybe even in the early 1970s.

Hyperbole-?! Perhaps. But they didn't have the means of getting up close & personal with what actually was happening inside their ammo in days long past.

Modern firearms from reputable manufacturers can handle far beyond the SAAMI spec for the cartridge they chamber. In fact, proof testing on each firearm by the SAAMI-member manufacturer is evidence of it.

An industry standard is just what it sounds like -- a standard. And the member companies stick to those standards. The manufacturers of the firearms and of the ammo.

Page generated in 0.03465 seconds with 8 queries