Thread: 16 Gauge?
View Single Post
Old April 8, 2013, 06:13 AM   #21
drcook

Quote:
If you get it and you have a 12 gauge too, make sure to not mix them up, because they look very similar!!
I fully support making sure ! [and not picking an internet fight ] You make a very good point about shotgun shells, well any cartridges that look similar.

If you are going to mix up 2 shell gauges, at least the 16 and 12 mixup won't possibly cost you your fingers or hand. I just tried sticking a 16ga shell into one of my 12ga Ithaca barrels and it hangs up. It stops with the rim about 1/2" into the chamber. Too far to fire, not far enough to let another shell chamber.

They definitely won't slide down into the barrel like a 20ga will.

I will need to check the other 12ga barrels I have here at the house.

My dentist shoots sporting clays and he tells the story of the guy that dropped a 20ga into a 12ga. I think he said he lost most of his fingers or his hand. They were at a sporting clays competition and in the heat of the moment he must of thought he didn't drop a shell in and when he did then 20ga caused a bore obstruction.

While I have Remington 16's, I like Federals simply because they are purple in color. If you stay within one brand (if possible) it is easy to get used to the color coordination.

Of course, I do a lot of double checking if I want to be sure, but I know for an iron clad fact, I don't have any purple 12ga shells and since my wife goes hunting with me (she uses a 20ga) the visual helps ensure we don't have a mixup.

Now I am going to have to check how a 20ga goes into a 16ga barrel.

Page generated in 0.03115 seconds with 8 queries