View Single Post
Old June 16, 2007, 09:38 AM   #12
Wild Bill Bucks

I remember when I first started to load, and how many little things kept getting in the way. No telling how many cartridges I ruined by not having a good regiment, and not understanding exactly what I was doing.

Let me offer a suggestion. In every Dye box, there is a set of instructions on how to set up and adjust your dyes. In almost every piece of your loading equipment, there is a set of instructions. Take all of these and tape them to a piece of cardboard, and pin them to the wall where you intend to load. This way you will have quick access to a procedure step that you may need to know.
Then take a piece of paper, and list the procedure steps that you intend to follow at each load session. Mine is: Measure Brass. trim to length, tumble, blow out tumble material, Spray with dry lubricant, run through de-priming and re-sizeing dye,de-burr (Inside rim & outside rim), re-prime brass, respray throat portion of cartridge with dry lube, then charge with powder, then load bullet ( checking measurements and dye tightness in press about every 10 rounds or so), then wipe off extra residue from lubricant and box them up.

By having these procedures in front of me on the wall, it sometimes keeps me from messing up a bunch of shells. It's easy to forget a step, and it will make a big difference. Couple of times I got distracted and forgot to put primers in brass, and charged about 50 rounds with no primers in them. Once I forgot to de-burr my brass and wound up crushing the brass back on about 100 rounds where they wouldn't chamber in my rifle.

What I'm saying is that if your new to re-loading, t is VERRRRRY easy to mess up. Get several load manuels and don't just look at them for load charges. Read them through to gain knowledge about chamber pressure, powder types, burn rate, ect.

Learn what powders are best with what calibers, and why.

The more you learn the more you will enjoy re-loading. The more you re-load, the better shot you will become. If you get stumped on ANY problem, you can always get on the Forum, and there are guys on here who have been doing this for 50years or so, and are more than willing to help you out.

Page generated in 0.02732 seconds with 8 queries