Thread: Short Barrel 44
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Bill Akins

That's exactly the revolver I'd like to get. A used but unfired or slightly used one.

I've seen several on gunbroker in the $200.00 to $250.00 range but I always seem to miss out on getting them or else the seller is unreasonably charging $25.00 to ship it just to make extra money because they will easily fit into a USPO flat rate $10.95 box that will ship anywhere in the U.S.

Here's one I've been watching for awhile. It has gone through quite a few auction cycles with no bids. So I'm waiting to see if the price drops. This one is an earlier sheriff model and you can tell so by the early star on it that says "Sheriff" that is different from the current star that is a slightly different design and also doesn't have a "Sheriff" written in the middle of the star.

You can really save a lot getting them on Gunbroker or other auctions vs buying them brand new. For instance the one I'm speaking about is asking $225.00 (and may drop further in price) vs the one you showed from Cabelas that goes for $379.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=230654569

I doubt you will notice any significant difference in recoil from the longer barreled models being black powder doesn't create that much recoil anyway as compared to smokeless powder. It's definitely handy with that shorter barrel and will clear leather faster too. But still has that knock-em-down punch of a .44 (actually shoots a .. .451 or .454...which is slightly larger than an exact .45 caliber). Never could figure out why they called it a .44 when it isn't. But then again they call the German 7.92 rifle cartridge an 8mm cartridge.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; May 17, 2011 at 07:19 PM.

Page generated in 0.02420 seconds with 8 queries