View Single Post
Old November 26, 2011, 01:36 PM   #184
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The distinction is (at least, as I view it) that -- to use your example -- NY's listing of what handguns you are allowed to carry is a condition of the license. In NY, you are not licensed to carry "A" handgun (any handgun), you are licensed to carry only those handguns enumerated on your license. The limitations on where and how you may carry are separate. The example I created of a pet shop operated by a female owner was intended as an extreme example. It does not affect the carry license or the process of issuing it, it affects only WHERE you may carry once you have the license.

Again to pursue your NY example, if I lived in NY and I had a license that says I can carry a Kimber Ultra Carry serial number XYZ12345, that's part of my license. IMHO (as a non-attorney), that same restriction on my license would follow me around the country if HR 822 were to pass. In other words, I would be allowed to carry in Utah or New Mexico or Indiana on the basis of my NY state license -- but even in those states I would still be allowed to carry only my Kimber Ultra Carry #XYZ12345, since that's what my license says I am allowed to carry. But in New Mexico I would be subject to New Mexico's rules regarding where I can carry (such as banks, bars, government buildings, or pet shops operated by female owners).

Page generated in 0.04382 seconds with 8 queries