View Single Post
Old July 25, 2011, 07:31 AM   #43
zincwarrior

Quote:
My first post on TFL but, I have been learning things here for the last year.

Tonight I went with my daughter to get a treat at the ice cream shop down the road. I was unbuckling her from her car seat (she is 3 years old) when a car blaring music pulled up very close to my open door. I grabbed my truck door because it was so close. I thought nothing of it and helped my daughter from the truck. We made it 20 feet away from the truck when the driver of the other car started yelling at us. He was angry that I yanked my door out of the way. I guess I offended him. He was being very threatening verbally and was advancing towards us. Here is my problem. I left my main carry gun at home. I only had my BUG on my ankle. I was in a very bad situation, if he made real on his threats.

I remained calm and stepped in front of my 3 year old. I slowly walked away from him without breaking eye contact. i told him I didn't mean anything by moving my door and that I didn't have a problem with him. My daughter was scared and crying. I made it out into the parking lot with two cars between us before he finally disengaged.

All I could think through this whole incident was what a dumb ### I am.

What would have happened if he had ran at me with only my BUG on my ankle. I cringe at the thought. Mostly for my daughter.

I am now looking at pocket holsters for the LC9 I am going to buy Monday.

Anyone else ever use an ankle holster for their BUG? I would like to hear your thoughts.

JUMP
Why on earth are you beating yourself up?
1. You did the appropriate, logical, and smart thing by de-escalating the situation. Not only was it smart it was something many of us would be hard pressed to do once your daughter started crying (that whole parental bear response). But better to walki away then escalate and have the daughter witness a full on confrontation - its a "teachable moment" (sorry...) for her and you could use it to talk through de-escalating things in the future.

2. You had your BUG gun. thats kinda the point of having it isn't it?

Page generated in 0.02803 seconds with 8 queries