View Single Post
Old June 8, 2011, 09:04 AM   #12
twobit

Good video. Agree with the above two posts (Cracked91 & Micahweeks). Key issue is do not surprise the officer either visually or vocally. Don't be digging around in the vehicle for your ID when the officer approaches. If it is night have your window down and your inside dome light on. As an officer first approaches your vehicle he is focused on spotting any threat to him before it can be used against him. Making things easier for the officer to rule out threats as he first approaches makes the whole stop go smoother.

I liked the part about not using the word "gun". To us "GUN" is an alarm word (has been for decades), especially between us and a partner, as they were talking about in the video.

In my area of the state (TX) we have Border Patrol checkpoints on roads near the border. These are not the crossing checkpoints but are within about 75 miles of the border (I NEVER go to Mexico).
When in my personal vehicles at these checkpoints near the border I do this;

* I have my identification out before I get up to the agent, so I am not reaching into my pockets while they are standing at the window of my vehicle.
*At night I turn the dome light on. The tinted windows are rolled down (all of them, day or night).
*Other people (if any) in my vehicle stay still and don't dig about under seats and such.
*I show them my identification and usually say something like this... "Hi, I am a Police Officer,... there are weapons in the vehicle and in the camper" (if I'm pulling my RV). Also If I am pulling my RV I will ask if they need to see inside the RV. Other applicable comments after I have identified myself might be "I am wearing a weapon" (I am not wearing a weapon)".
*A civilian could have his ID at ready, show your DL and your carry permit together, say "This is my firearms license, I am (or am not) carrying a firearm at this time ....or there is (or is not) a firearm in the vehicle at this time". They are looking for smugglers or illegals, but every contact starts with the phase of "Am I safe standing next to these people in this vehicle". Help them through this phase so they can conduct their business. They will ask if you are a US citizen and may ask where you are going. They have to do this hundreds of times a day at a checkpoint, so be nice and be helpful.

Page generated in 0.02838 seconds with 8 queries