Thread: Run Away!
View Single Post
Old March 15, 2011, 10:52 AM   #85
BikerRN

The original post really shows that all situations are different and the correct answer is: "It depends."

What worked this time, evading, may not work next time, but we won't know until that situation presents itself. For this scenario the correct response was to flee. In another scenario it may very well be the wrong approach.

I have had the displeasure of drawing my gun on another person three times with the full intent of stopping their actions by force that would most likely result in death. Thankfully the actions I was attempting to stop did in fact stop with my producing a weapon. It was all very fast, but as I'm sure some of you know, time slowed down to a crawl.

Would I have been correct in discharging my weapon? That's for the courts to determine. I'm just thankful I didn't have to find out. In my humble opinion B. Lahey acted correctly in this scenario. One can only judge this scenario based on what B. Lahey knew at the time and how he perceived the actions of the criminal actor. The fact that he was able to drive away without being harmed proves to me that he acted correctly.

While it would be charitable to consider the future victims of the criminal actor, it is not realistic, practical, or even ethical. I say ethical because one's responsibility is to themselves and their loved ones. "Justice" is reserved for the courts, and we are not empowered with a code of vigilantism. We should only be concerned with the here and now.

Now being that a future victim was afforded the same opportunity to provide for their own personal protection, but made the decision not to, as the original poster says to me that it's their choice and they will have to live with that choice, good or bad.

Biker

Page generated in 0.03565 seconds with 8 queries