Old October 3, 2012, 11:33 AM   #26
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS
He had me right up to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Huffington Post
The applicant should be competent in of how to operate a handgun, familiar with the basic rules of gun safety and hold a fundamental understanding of the laws of "deadly force" as well as how they may differ from state to state.
What " basic right" needs a competency requirement?...
Putting aside the question of whether this ought to be a governmental requirement, in my view the responsible gun owner who intends to carry a loaded gun in public will undertake on his own initiative to "...be competent in of how to operate a handgun, familiar with the basic rules of gun safety and hold a fundamental understanding of the laws of "deadly force" as well as how they may differ from state to state...." It may be his right to carry a gun without doing so, at least in some States; but if he makes that choice, I'm sure not going to congratulate him for it.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03466 seconds with 8 queries