View Single Post
Old March 24, 2005, 09:55 AM   #6
cobra81

You're not the only one who enjoys the ol' thirty-aught. I have a Savage that shoots at least as good if not better than my current level of
marksmanship, and I just like owning and using a firearm with such a rich and lengthy American heritage. I also like the versatility of having a gun that can be used in so many different situations.
I have worked up loads for all different kind of bullets, but most recently I have been focusing on lighter grain missiles, like the 110 grainers you mentioned. One load that works particularly well in my rifle is 27 grains of IMR SR4759 behind a Hornady V-Max 110 gr. bullet. I get very good accuracy with these loads, and they consistently chrono around 2500 fps. I have not had a chance yet to use this load on any live game, but from what I hear, they are spectacularly effective on varmints. So it's a little overkill; dead is dead, and part of the beauty of the 30-06 is it's ability to allow you to shoot whut you brung. Recoil is so light that you will think somebody switched guns with you ....speaking of recoil, try the following link to Beartooth Bullets; they have a calculator that figures recoil (among other things); all you have to do is input your bullet weight, powder charge, and fps.

Page generated in 0.02077 seconds with 8 queries