View Single Post
Old April 15, 2011, 07:45 AM   #16
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Jake Balam
Shooting without ear protection.
Now we all know that shooting without proper ear protection can and will cause permanent hearing loss.
However, when in a SD scenario, I doubt there will be time to throw in your ear plugs. Firing a gun without ear protection could disorient and stun you so follow up shots wouldn't be possible.
Does anyone shoot, at least once or twice without ear protection to guage your reaction to an unmuffled gunshot in close proximity?
I shoot in an open, outdoor gravel pit. If I use my gun in SD it would most likely be in my home, or place of business. I would hate to think that I would get a single shot off and then stand there stunned while the BG shoots back at me.
At the range, definitely use hearing protecting. However, in a SD situation you may not have the opportunity or desire (listening for noises & muffs are clumsy) to do so. Don't use 357/44/500 magnum loads is one way to avoid becoming deaf or have your hearing permanently damaged. In all reality, the adrenaline running through your system will negate any perceived pain from the damage. I've even heard that the adrenaline will sometimes actually protect your hearing - who knows on that one... As for testing firing w/o protection - don't do it. Even a single loud shot can cause permanent damage, especially from 357/44 or non-rimfire rifle...etc.

Page generated in 0.03210 seconds with 8 queries