View Single Post
Old September 21, 2000, 02:34 PM   #3
William R. Wilburn

I GAVE (I know, stupid, stupid, stupid) a new Ruger 10/22 to a family member (not blood relation-my kin are ALL armed and dangerous), because I felt everyone should be capable of defending their family or supplying meat for the pot. The .22 seemed appropriate, since this was the guys first firearm. A place to start, if you will.

Within a year his wife was attacked, in her home, and forced to strip as a prelude to rape. She managed to get to the bedroom ahead of the goblin and close and lock the door. This gave her enough time to get the Ruger and insert the magazine. The BG broke down the door while she was fumbling with the bolt. She could not chamber a round because the bolt hold-open device had been engaged. The BG disarmed her, but the temporary loss of control of the situation and the appearance of the firearm changed the rhythm of the attack, and the BG decided to leave. He was later arrested and convicted. I got to set in the court room and glower (the defense attorney objected to my presence... Heh, heh, heh).

Those of you who are familiar with the Ruger's hold open device know that it is difficult to engage accidently (H*ll!!...it's difficult to engage on purpose!). Her husband claims the bolt was closed when he stored the rifle. Never could understand how the hold-open got engaged.

The victim claims she is glad, in the long run, that she could not shoot the attacker. The BG was a long time friend of the family. Lots of counseling later and she is still messed up. Must have been somewhat messed up before. Therapy is a bottomless pit. She loves it, and can't get enough.

I think dropping a BG, in a sexual assault situation, would have a particulary empowering and cleansing effect on a victim that all the therapy in the world could not replace.
I am probably wrong, and have no studies to back up that thought, but something inside me,real primal and deep, nods in agreement and gives a warm and fuzzy GRRRR!.

Page generated in 0.02623 seconds with 8 queries