View Single Post
Old February 16, 2009, 02:49 PM   #31
Mark Milton

Read it and weep....

This was in the local paper "The Logan Banner" in June of 2007

>>>Man shoots self in leg at Mall

LOGAN — Local law enforcement officers rushed to the scene on Wednesday in response to an unusual call after an unnamed man accidentally shot himself.
Logan Police Chief David White said the man had apparently purchased either the weapon or the ammunition and had loaded the gun.
"He was in the parking lot sitting at the intersection and it discharged and went through his leg," Chief White said yesterday. "It was a .40 Caliber handun, but he may have just bought ammunition there. (Nationwide, Wal-Mart stores stopped selling handguns during the Clinton administration).
Patrolman A. Newsome responded to the call to investigate.
"The man drove himself on to Logan Regional and from what we understand he was transferred on to Charleston," White said. "This incident happened around 1 p.m. No charges were filed."
Ironically, it was not the only self inflicted injury area law enforcement officers handled on Wednesday as the Logan County Sheriff's Department looked into an incident where a man reportedly accidentally hurt himself with a knife earlier that morning. >>>

I have said this before, but people who are more into trendy than reality just don't remember- When I moved to where I live now, there was a major firefight that went down where a guy got shot 11 times with .40 weapons and kept fighting back even after his own gun ran empty. The cops had to beat on him with flashlights to subdue him.
One of the officers was a friend of mine and he told me point blank — It was like we were shooting him with BB guns —.
Not a week later there was a shooting with a 9mm and it was a one shot stop.

A few months after that there was another shooting where a bad guy soaked up 7 rounds of hot, trendy .40 caliber bullets in the next county over and guess what? He didnt' go down.

Meanwhile, local papers were declaring police brutality "because everybody knows you don't have to shoot somebody more than once or twice for them to fall down and stop."

I myself took a copy of an old Caliber Press book on law enforcement to the editor and showed him golly geewhilikers there are people who have been shot dozens of times and still kept on fighting back...

Now, that's reality. If you would rather fall for marketing hype, more power to ya. Me and the ghost of Elmer Keith will tip a brew in your memory if it turns out fatal for you.
But remember, think about what you will do if you shoot somebody with one of these overrated popguns and he doesn't fall down.
What happens if he stabs or shoots you, because you didn't Roarke him (Use Enough Gun)?
Almost as bad, what happens if you shoot a bad guy 11 times with your hot, trendy .40 and have to reload and the local press accuses you of brutality and goes on and on in editorials about how the fact you kept firing and reloaded shows you were murdering this poor bum?

I know of other stopping power failures but none as dramatic as the .40 ones.
One Williamson officer got shot in the leg during an altercation by a bad guy with a .38 snub and didn't realize it until later when filling out his report he felt something wet running into his socks. It was his own blood.
In Lexington, back in the 80s, there was a case where a deranged person got shot six times with .38s before he had to be wrestled to the ground by about half a dozen police officers.
Conversely, I don't know of any stopping power failures with the .357 magnum, which was also a popular duty weapon where I live now , and in Lexington when I lived back there.
I know of many 9mm shootings, most of them which ended after one, two or three rounds were fired.

You can make intelligent decisions about your own safety based on facts or you can have opinions based on wishful thinking and marketing and what's trendy. But an intelligent person will stick with the facts instead of getting their feelings hurt because they made a bad choice when it came to a defensive arm.

Its funny. People who choose poorly when it comes to firearms often can't take any reality. Look at the people who get bent out of shape when you try to explain to them, "uh, no buddy, you can't make a decent .380, 9mm or .40 out of zinc for under $200."

Honestly boys, nobody was more dissapointed in the failure of the .40 as a gunfighting tool than I was. As a hardcore Keith fan and Cooper trooper I foolishly beleived it just HAD to be better than the puny 9mm because it was bigger and had heavier bullets. After all, it was so much like the .38-40 revolver round which had a good rep for stopping power.
Sometimes a bullet looks more impressive on paper than it performs on the street.
Haven't you guys ever heard of Ed Sanow and Evan Marshall?

Page generated in 0.03646 seconds with 8 queries