View Single Post
Old October 21, 2012, 01:00 PM   #46
armoredman

Quote:
talk about different mechanics. still accuracy was quite lacking(compared to M16) and I left with a bruised shoulder, not normally something that happens with small cartridges like x39. I will conceed that I still like the VZ58 more than AK platform but even with a solid stock with limbsaver pad on it I doubt I would ever buy one. it gets rid of a lot of the control issues I had with the AK but parts interchangeability is completely off the table since so few actually use the VZ58.
Using the military issue folding stock, weren't you? I tried one after using the stock CzechpointUSA Sporter stock for some time, went for a Zahal folding stock, a far better stock that eliminated any recoil issues. The collapsible stock on the 5.56mm version seems to transmit more felt recoil than my Zahal stock. As for parts, Czechpointusa.com has every part you could need and more. Zahal and Mako stock aftermarket stuff as well. Yes, it didn't make a big splash with the Commie world when it came out - the Russkies didn't like competition with the AK. I have seen pictures of the vz-58 still in use in many dark corners of the world, and some not so dark like India. Still the currently longest serving original form select fire assault rifle in the world.

Quote:
It seems a lot of people go around saying that the Vz.58 is far more accurate than the AK, and that it has lighter recoil, and I haven't found either to be true and I've had two Vz.58's (one from CAI one from Czech-Point). Sometimes I wonder if they've ever had one or fired one, or if they're simply assuming it... or maybe regurgitating something they've heard from someone who assumed it. Accuracy seems about the same as you'd get with a decent example of an AK, and with the folding stock and no muzzle break, the 58 is nasty little rifle to shoot. I like them a lot nonetheless and would probably trade my AR for one (as long as it's the D-Technik variety, rather than CAI).
I assure you I shoot mine regularly, was plinking at 100 yards with the 7.62x39mm version at a 12x8 steel target and making it ring with every standing shot three days ago. Obviously this cannot be a real comparison of rifles, but the guy shooting a Saiga conversion, from the bench using the bipod at a steel target the same size as mine but at 75 yards...and missing it, gave me a LOT if dirty looks. I even had my friend who was shooting with me try it - she has fired perhaps 50 rounds of rifle ammo in her life, and she nailed the steel easily. No scope, 1X red dot. Like I told her, 100 yards is the minimum you should shoot a good rifle. I've used the 7.62x39mm version at 200 and hit a man sized target without serious difficulty, no magnification. I've used the 5.56mm version at 300 yards and hit the same steel target mentioned above, no video/photos, s feel free to doubt me.
I can say without hesitation that both of my SA vz-58 rifles are more accurate than any AK variant I have owned, which include Century WASRs and a Hungarian import, back in the early 1980s. I have never shot a top of the line AK, and wouldn't mind trying one sometime. I am also anything BUT a world class rifleman!

I made the following little goofy movie on the 80 yard line, just for some stock video, but it does show I'm shooting my favorite semi-auto rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9QgV...&feature=g-upl

Page generated in 0.02532 seconds with 8 queries