View Single Post
Old May 29, 2012, 06:44 AM   #21
Rimfire5

You might want to consider a Savage 10 FCP-K in .223 or .308, although I would recommend a .223 if your shoulder is really weak.

Both of the -K models have a muzzle brake that really works to keep the barrel climb under control. It also might reduce recoil a bit also.
You actually can see the bullet hit the target with the .223 and be ready immediately for a follow up shot.

Both these Law Enforcement models have a great stock recoil pad that eliminates any real shock, but you still can't remove all the recoil motion that you would have with a .308. The rifle has got to move backward and if you have a weak shoulder the extra .308 recoil might cause some pain if you are sensitive to motion.

My shooting buddy is recovering from rotator cuff surgery on his shoulder and is also concerned about recoil. He is shooting the Savage 10 FCP-K in .223 and says the recoil doesn't bother him at all. He is still having problems with range of motion and can't shoot at the range for more than a few hours because his shoulder doesn't really like the position around the stock yet, but he has no problems with recoil.

I also have a CZ 527 in .223 with the Kevlar stock and Varmint barrel.
It also has almost no recoil. It would be a good choice as well.
However, the Savage FCP-K with the combination of a really big butt pad and the muzzle brake has even less. Both shoot with about the same accuracy and have the same 1:9 twist. They both average under 0.46 inches with their 10 favorite hand loads. The Savage shot some of the factory ammo better than the CZ.

The Savage was less expensive (by about $ 150) and you can order it at Dick's and still get a good price with delivery in less than a week.

Page generated in 0.02293 seconds with 8 queries