View Single Post
Old May 26, 2008, 07:20 PM   #16
Stainz

I was standing at the pusher's counter - ready to buy a SS 6" last summer. Fate intervened - and I saw it come out of the display - and into it's new owner's hand... and not mine! I didn't need the .45 Colt capability - I have two 625MGs in .45 Colt. I was taken by that .410 capability. Did I want one bad enough to buy a humongous $800 BFR in .45/.410? How about that blocky 'Thunder Five' with it's 3" chambers? Nope. Seeing the Taurus adverts on the shooting shows got to me...

No problemo... a fellow presented at the shooting range I frequent with a blued 6" variant... and I had one of my 625MGs. We 'tested' each other's revolver. I appreciated fate that day... and the earlier day - I dodged a turkey, in my opinion. His ammo consisted of bird shot (#11?) and PMC & MagTech .45 Colt 'cowboy' loads. My 625MG had both 255gr LSWC and Speer #4484 250gr Gold Dots - at ~840 fps - far better protection - and a bit more recoil - my 625MGs sport wood or Dymondwood grips. He didn't like mine - and I was happy the Taurus was his. It was inaccurate with .45 Colts - and the two birdshot loads I shot at a full size silhouette target at 12yd left celestial 'swirl' patterns - with gaps large enough for families of snakes to escape unscathed. I hate that 'squishy' rubber ('ribber') grip, too. The trigger was typically new Taurus... it has to get better.

Before you go ga-ga over buck shot from a 2.5" .410, checkout the amount, diameter, mass, and velocity. A single 'cowboy' round of .452" 250gr LRNFP at 750 fps will likely do more damage. Of course, try to find 'defensive' .410 ammo outside of a well-stocked gunstore. No, the hype nearly got me... the harsh reality brought me to my senses... and fate, of course. You can buy shot loads for .45 Colts, too. And, didn't Indy use kerosene against snakes??

Stainz

Page generated in 0.03378 seconds with 8 queries