Thread: Bad Practice!
View Single Post
Old October 14, 2012, 03:52 PM   #22
Bob Wright

First of all, I want to thank those of you who at least understood my position, rather than condemn me for having the audacity to go against the gunfighter training classes.

Quote:
Why are you so set against a class?
I'm not against a class, but rather the methods taught. As shown in that "Briefcase" clip, the free hand is more than likely required to push aside a gun in your face. While doing this, the gun hand draws and fires.

Quote:
Are you carrying a SA revolver cocked, or are you cocking upon draw?
No, my single action is an old model Ruger with no transfer bar. To carry it cocked is extremely dangerous. My thumb cocks the hammer during the draw. By the time my gun is level at about belt height the hammer is cocked and I press the trigger. There is no pause as in my practice it has become too late for my adversary to "withdraw the threat."

Consider this: I am, or have pumped gas, and am standing beside my Jeep. I am approached by a would be robber/car jacker. He keeps his gun behind his thigh out of my view, then suddenly thrusts his gun in my face. I have not signaled that I am armed, then push aside his gun while drawing and firing one shot, or follow up shots as required.

I have five shots, this leaves three at least for any accomplice. As for being approached by more than two, I won't let myself get into such a situation.

Engaging multiple opponents from ten, fifteen feet away and reloading, gives rise to the likelihood that one may have gone out "looking for a fight." And, continuing to fire raises the question of the possibility that the "self defense" phase has ended.

Much of my pratice and discipline is based mostly on the writings of Col. Charles Askins. He disdained set-piece practices.

I carry a single action because it is the most natural in my hand. I have lived with the single action revovler most of my life, even many years ago considered becoming an exhibition shooter, and am more confidant with it than any other handgun. Plus I know the capabilities of the .44 Special with hollow point bullets.

I once set up a range at Camp Roberts, California, and taught combat shooting with the .45 Pistol, using surprise pop-up targets. This, plus having talked to several folks who have been in life threatening situations and one who did have to shoot, has given me what I believe to be the best practice for my given situation.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; October 14, 2012 at 04:12 PM.

Page generated in 0.03846 seconds with 8 queries