View Single Post
Old September 9, 1999, 06:30 PM   #12
Jeff Thomas

DOCSpanky, check back a little ways in the rifle area. You'll note some references re: research on .223 rounds, and the risk of their penetration. It seems that 55gr .223 HP rounds don't penetrate as much as most folks think, and apparently they probably penetrate less than your 230gr Federal Hydra-Shoks. Sometimes the obvious is not correct.

Regarding ammunition quantity influencing my or anyone else's decision to perform a sweep of a home, I suppose I'll just have to disagree. I can't see someone saying 'golly ... I've got 13 rounds of ammo ... might as well take them on'. Doesn't make sense to me that this would or should be a significant factor in that bad decision. The smart thing is certainly to avoid conflict if possible, but if those guys come up the stairs, I'm no longer interested in conversation. And, I don't care to be hoping I can find more ammunition when it was just as easy to be prepared with more before the problem ever arose.

I think I am perhaps hypersensitive to this issue because of the absurd laws we now have in this regard. This doesn't apply in our current conversation, but I'm real tired of having ignorant business associates tell me 'no one needs more than 10 rounds of ammo ... if you can't get it done in 10 rounds, then you're probably dead already'. Yada, yada, yada. I only wish these geniuses could tell me where the stock market will end up tomorrow - that kind of fortune telling could be really useful.

Also, while I agree it makes sense to consider the legal implications of our decisions, it remains better to be 'judged by twelve, rather than carried by six'. I prefer to have a high quality, capable firearm, coupled with training and practice. I'll worry later about trying to help a jury understand that I felt it was my duty as a husband and father to protect my wife and children. My family is my first priority ... not the jury.

Regards from AZ

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited September 09, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.04507 seconds with 8 queries