View Single Post
Old April 17, 2001, 05:08 PM   #20
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Glamdring:
Masaaki Hatsumi (current Bujinkan grandmaster) defeated two sword-wielding yakuza thugs in Japan.

To****sugu Takamatsu, his teacher, was tried for killing 5 sword-wielding Chinese in the '30's. I believe that neither of these two gentlemen were facing drunken opponents, and I also believe they were unarmed.

One of the most dangerous people I know is almost exactly my size, perhaps two or three pounds lighter. (I'm currently about 146.) Manaka Unsui is not much bigger than I. Recently, he was toying with the Japanese full-contact heavyweights. He is nowhere near 170 lbs.

The point is, there are folks out there, little folks, who train a lot. They probably have no interest whatsoever in fighting you, but it is always arrogantly silly to assume that, just because you can't do a thing, that others cannot either.

I can't skate worth a damn, am not currently a good long-range shot, and cannot fly a plane. I do not assume others cannot either. Years ago, I watched someone touch off three shots from a .45 Colt in less than half a second, timed (popped 3 widely spaced balloons, btw). I'm pretty reluctant now to say what others cannot do.
---------
RazE,
If you're willing to put a decent amount of time and energy into it, martial arts can be very positive, if one finds a good teacher. Have realistic expectations, and give a realistic effort. Have fun!

Page generated in 0.03728 seconds with 8 queries