View Single Post
Old September 8, 2004, 12:16 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

Guys,
In 1999 lots of things were being bought by lots of people in panic who didn't know any better. Cheap 250-watt suitcase generators to run entire houses comes to mind. Yes, those ran, they produced electricity, but they weren't up to the job. Many were returned in the box the first week of 2000 for full refunds by people saying "I just wanted something in case, and I didn't need it afterall, so I want to return it." They bought in ignorance, didn't understand the requirements of getting enough generator to do the job, and either unloaded as soon as possible, or kept the generators "just in case", and are likely to be severely disappointed if "in case" ever happens and they try to get more performance out of something that just wasn't designed for it.
As a cheap plinker, if you want to spend your money on one, that's fine. If you want to risk your life on one, it's your life. I genuinely don't mean to insult anybody's intelligence here, it's just that there are far better defensive designs available, the Hi-Point is not worth sinking money into after buying one, it's too much hassle to break down & re-assemble for the type of regular maintenance any defensive carbine should get, longevity is questionable, and it does not compare with either the Colt or the Ruger carbines in ease of maintenance, design, quality of construction, or proven durability.
I understand the need to save a buck, and I do it myself. But, I wouldn't risk my life on one.
The original point was that there's not enough market for a custom stock.
Figure that even if the carbine were as popular as you believe it is, what would that popularity be based on, and what element of the shooting population would it be popular with?
It's greatest claim to fame is that it's cheap, period. So, it appeals mostly to shooters who either think they can't afford anything better, or who don't want to spend any more on a better gun. Among that group, although I grant there is at least one person who's interested, how many do you think there'd be who'd want to spend more money on something they bought because they didn't want to spend more money in the first place?
The numbers just aren't there.
Denis

Page generated in 0.06406 seconds with 8 queries