View Single Post
Old July 15, 2008, 10:45 PM   #13
6kilo

I've built three rifles from parts. Started with a pre-inlet stock, barrel channel inlet and the ramrod hole drilled. The rest of the stock was what they called "pre-shaped", which means it has the general dimensions already cut for you. It still took a lot of work. I had to finish the inlet for the barrel and inlet for the breech plug, then inlet for the lock, trigger, trigger guard, and butt plate. There was a lot of work to do taking wood off the stock to get the right lines and form I wanted as well as the right look around the look and the check rest area. I didn't try doing in carving on it, just not that good at all. All three turned out well, I learned from each one and got better as I went along. The first was a flint rifle in .50 cal. build as a Leman trade rifle, second was same stock design but .54 cal. cap lock, third was using a stock that was given to me and not sure what rifle type it was supposed to be when I started, built it somewhat customized the way I wanted it to look and fit. I used L&R lock on the flintlock, and Green Mountain barrel, rest of the parts were just parts listed for the Leman style rifle on Track of The Wolf. Second rifle used a Green River Rifle Works barrel, Siler lock, and again same parts from Track used on the first rifle. The fittings on the first two were iron, third was brass. It is a lot of work, but can be very rewarding, just take your time. You could check with some of the stock makers and see if they have any "seconds". Two of mine were seconds from Pecatonaca River and saved me quite a bit of money. Good luck, and have fun.

Page generated in 0.03400 seconds with 8 queries