View Single Post
Old June 18, 2001, 11:46 PM   #9
Chap

I was hoping for an easy ammo problem, but alas, it may be a gun problem.

I purchased some winchester match 148 HBWC loaded ammo ($20!!!) to compare to my own, and the crimps are nearly identical. OAL is nearly identical, at the end of the 38 SPL case. I will go to the range in a few days with the factory ammo to see what happens.

As for my comment on overall length, the hollow base wad cutters have a little (tiny) bit of a round nose that just barely sticks out past the end of the 38 case. The sides of the bullet are flush or slightly below the case walls. Again, just like the factory ammo that I'm comparing it to.

Unfortunately, it looks like the ammo isn't the problem, but I have not tried it in a known good pistol.

So, to the bench to try your guesses on cylinder, bullet, and barrel diameter. (Note, I'm using the stated sizes of the bullets. My calipers are not good enough to get to 0.0005")

I drop a 9mm jacketted bullet (.355) through all 7 chambers, and they all drop through, but do slow down.

I drop a remington jacketed 158 HP bullet through the chambers (.357), and all stick at the front of the cylinder chamber and require a small push to get them through the cylinder chamber mouth.

I drop a speer jacketted 158 FP bullet (.357)into the chambers and no comfortable amount of pushing will get the bullet through any of the chambers.

Lastly, neither of the HBWC's (speer or hornady, at .358) would go through the cylinder chambers without deforming or shaving the bullet. I could not push a bullet through.

To the forcing cone.......

All of the bullets will enter the forcing cone, but stick in the barrel soon after they enter, leaving most of the bullet sticking out of the cone.

So.......

no concrete conclusions yet, but it looks to me like C.R. Sam may win the prize, and I win a repair bill. It definatly is NOT loose!!

Is what I describe above normal? What should the end of the cylinder chambers (mouth) measure? It looks like mine is right at .357". I'll shoot the factory ammo fist, before I complete the analysis.

I may be calling S&W on this one.

Thank you for your help. Any more input will be appreciated. I'll let you know what happens at the range trip.

I forgot the camera at work, but I may post the picture later.

Sorry for the length of the message.

Page generated in 0.02823 seconds with 8 queries